There are too many zucchini...again. I've souped, I've sauteed, I've even juiced them. Still when they come in, they come with allll their friends! It's as though one day you see the blossom and think, 'oh boy zucchinis are on the way!' Then 1 week later they are filling up every fridge and countertop within a 5 mile radius. But we can't hate on them, they are one of the BEST vegetables to have on hand. For instance, it was my honey's birthday and I made him the absolute best cake (errrr bread) using one of these fresh zuchs. Good thing the recipe makes 2 loaves because he polished a whole one off in a day!
Want to know what makes this the best bread ever? It has dark chocolate in it and it feels like a secret surprise. I also add cherries (fresh when in season, dried when out of season) or respberries, blueberries, whatever! It's the moistest most delicious bread of the season.
Zucchini Bread with Dark Chocolate and Cherries
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (or all-purpose)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cinnamon (or 1 Tablespoon pre-ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or regular milk with a splash of vinegar)
- 1 cup organic Turbinado sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 4 oz dark chocolate, chunked
- 1 cup of dried cherries (or fresh cherries pitted if in season)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil 2 9x4 inch loaf pans and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy; beat in yogurt, buttermilk, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Combine well. Stir in grated zucchini and chopped chocolate.
- Fold flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the 9x4 loaf pans. Bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes in the pan. Loosen the sides and remove from pan. Cool loaf completely before cutting.