As you all know we just pulled a massive garlic harvest. I LOVE eating fresh garlic and like most people, never knew it was an option. Grocery stores mostly sell dried garlic and you can really only get fresh garlic at the farmers market or if you grow it. The bulbs are juicier and bursting with flavor and I can only imagine that all the nutritional components are also more potent.
With that being said - this is pretty much the healthiest soup you can eat... allow me to list all the ways. Garlic is low in calories and high in Allicin (responsible for anti-inflammatory, viral and thrombotic properties), Vitamin C, B6 and Manganese. It cleans your body of metals, contains antioxidants, is good for your bones, reduces cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure. Basically it makes you live longer and it's DELICIOUS!
MAKE THIS SOUP! EAT IT OFTEN! LIVE WELL!
- 5-6 garlic bulbs
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or ghee
- 3-4 garlic scapes (if available)
- handful of coconut flour
- 4 cups of veggie stock
- few sprigs of fresh tarragon or other herbs of choice
- himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper
- Peel and smash the garlic and chop up the scapes. Add the coconut oil to a medium pot and heat. Add the garlic and scapes and let them cook until the garlic gets golden brown.
- Add the coconut flour and a bit of stock to make a roux.
- Add the rest of the veggie stock and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon to smash the garlic into the side of the pan or use your immersion blender to get the soup smoother.
- Chop up your tarragon and add some salt and pepper to taste
- Eat to your health!