I have never met a person who hasn't liked a cucumber.
Crunchy, hydrating, cooling and delicious, this summertime treat is also a superfood. Loaded with vitamin K, B vitamins, copper, potassium, vitamin C and manganese cucumbers also contain anti-inflammatories that promote brain health and improve memory. Cukes contain phytonutrients that reduce cancer, are loaded with water and fiber that aid your digestive tract, and all those B vitamins relieve stress. They fight other inflammation in unwanted parts of the body (cue the cucumber slices on eyelids often seen in movies during a 'relaxing' night in the tub). The short of it is, cucumbers are amazing for you.
Remember: buying organic cukes are important! Cucumbers were ranked the 12th most contaminated food and 2nd in cancer risk due to their pesticide content (via EWG). So before you make this salad make sure your cukes are legit!
- 3 English Cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thai basil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons peanut or sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove crushed and minced
- Cut cucumbers into 1/2-inch dice, and place in a medium bowl. Add peanuts, thai basil, garlic, lime juice, oil, salt, and crushed red-pepper flakes, and stir to combine.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to let flavors soak in and then serve.