Garlic scapes are something I look forward to every year, and because we plant over 500 garlic bulbs every fall, we harvest over 500 scapes every Spring! So besides chopping them up and adding them to almost veggie dish, soup and frittata I can, I make this pesto and store it up for colder months when I miss these flavors the most.
I guess you can say scapes are healthy...they contain protein, vitamin C and calcium and sine they are harvested from the same plant, they offer the same health benefits as the ultimate superfood garlic which prevents heart disease, high cholesterol and cancer. So yeah, you can say its kinda healthy.
This pesto recipe is super garlicky and spicy, nut free and vegan without compromising any of the taste. Enjoy it with veggies, pasta, crackers or with fresh bread.
- 1 lb of garlic scapes (about 12-15)
- Olive oil - lots of it
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- handfuls of basil and thai basil
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Himalayan salt
- Break the scapes at the base if they haven't been trimmed and chop up the rest into small, about 1/4" pieces.
- Remove basil leaves from the stems and give them a light chop.
- Throw the scapes, basil, hemp seeds, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and healthy pour of olive oil into the blender or food processor and start blending.
- Season with a few pinches of salt, scrape down the sides and blend again.
- Add a few more splashes of vinegar if it needs more acid and feel free to add splashes of water or more olive oil if it gets to thick.
- Toss over fresh pasta, julienned vegetables or spread on crackers and cook with eggs!